Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Felicia Thomas Incorporated

Today in my Latin American economics class my professor imposed the question of what is development. It never ceases to amaze me how words that seem so minor can be hard to define. As we shouted out different answers, I knew there was more to the definition than what we would have been able to define. Dr. Clarke defined development as improvement over time. Since my last semester at Carlow, I started viewing business theories as good self improvement tips. So I immediately thought to myself, am I developing, have I improved over time? Since I have been in college, have I appreciated my value? I feel that I can confidently say yes, however I realize that there is much more development that needs to take place in Felicia Thomas incorporated.

I am here in Costa Rica to appreciate my value by developing my Spanish and cultural awareness. This focus will allow me to market myself better and to make me of more value to corporate America. Although development rarely ever happens quickly, it only happens when there are short term changes in management. In my case, the management of my time and how much of it I apply to bettering my Spanish fluency is the improvement I need to make while in Costa Rica.

Dr. Clarke's lecture motivated me to think more about my self development. When I graduate from Carlow I don’t expect to start an entry level CEO position, but I can start practicing good management skills by better managing myself.

1 comment:

  1. Dear Felicia, I think of you often and had to visit the blog to get some Felicia Time! I am so proud of you, look at how much you have accomplished in such a little bit of time!
    working out, new internship, friends, parties - yea! Missing you, happy Valentines Day sweetie!

    ReplyDelete